2008年9月6日 星期六

很长的拉票信

My Dear Friends,

How are you doing? I am writing this e-mail to share with you some of my beliefs in this material time of 2008 Legco Election for the Accountancy Constituency.

So far I have collected some 15 years of experience in the profession, I cannot deny that I both love and hate this profession. I love the training framework underlying this profession as it provides knowledge, practical experience and human touch from caring seniors; I love my fellow accountants as they share with me the same background and war stories. However, I hate the long hour and inhuman working environment as bosses are never satisfied with the compromises I have made with commitments to family, my loved ones and myself. However, these negatives come with as a package and I do not mind. What I feel mindful is that I am judged not on meritocracy but seniority in the profession; my voice as a young and promising accountant is not heard in the professional accounting organizations as the profession is filled with vested interests owners. Therefore together with Ronald Kung and others we set up this Young Accountants Association (YAA) in 2005 with a mission to advocate for, enhance the development and promote the needs of young accountants, and to increase public awareness of the contribution young accountants may make to society. With this mission, we visited universities meeting with accounting students i.e. our future accountants, telling them what they would be looking forward to in the profession, not from any firm’s point of view, but from young accountants like us who were there encountering the same before and shared the same feelings about the uncertainties of our future path as young accountants. We organized talks and seminars of various topics to broaden our members’ horizon. We, together with other YAA core members, co-authored a book introducing the local accounting firms and the profession, which is unprecedented in the profession. With all these we want to pass the messages to our youngsters that accountants are not just number crunchers, we have flesh and souls who care very much about Hong Kong and the society at large.

Ronald has his own views about matters and issues. He has helped me expanding my vision and sharing with me his experience about issues of Hong Kong. Initially, my world is just an accountant’s world. Gradually I started to realize that the interests of the profession are in fact aligning with the interests of the society at large. While we are accountants, we share what other Hong Kong citizens share, no matter it is good or bad. We do not want to be labeled as vested interest group. When we are put to the test of the greater good, we will not wilt and surrender to pressure from those with vested benefits. We shall get rid of this image. In 2003, Eric Li Ka-cheung had nearly put us to be the infamous few in voting for the legislation of the Article 23, without seeking the profession’s view. We then invoked a-member-a-letter campaign to curb his voting. However, damage to the profession’s image was done. Being thwarted by the very fear that our representative might betray us in Legco again, we took matters to our own hands by voting against the candidate from the pro-government camp i.e. Paul Chan and we chose Ms. Mandy Tam at 2004, hoping that she would help rebuild the image of accountants in society. Now, this presumption proves to be wrong as Ms. Tam has successfully demonstrated how incompetent she has been in representing the profession in Legco. Again, the pendulum has swung from one wrong end to the other. In order not to repeat the same mistake, the profession should carefully choose its representative this year. Why shall we vote for someone who has already proved her incompetence during the last four years? On the other hand, why shall we vote for someone who is similar to Eric Li Ka-cheung that will put us to be the infamous few in Hong Kong’s history?

I support Ronald because we share similar background and values: we are young, we want to rebuild the image of the profession, we are truly independent, we treasure a level playing field so that our voice is equally heard, and we strive for the greater good of society at large. I therefore want to tell you with this e-mail that Ronald is the one you should cast your vote on 7 September this Sunday. I strongly believe that Ronald, a true independent and liberal, will deliver what he promises to us in his platform which shall make Hong Kong a better place to live in.

If you want to understand more about Ronald Kung’s platform, please feel free to visit http://www.ronaldkung.com/ .


Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX

_______________________________________

小瓶子的 response:

My friend, although I can barely remember you, I have the same opinion as yours. I will vote for Mr. Ronald Kung and hope for a change.

沒有留言: